This Page

has been moved to new address

Tortilla Soup

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Running Down A Dream: Tortilla Soup

This Page

has been moved to new address

Tortilla Soup

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
zzzzzz Running Down A Dream: Tortilla Soup

This Page

has been moved to new address

Tortilla Soup

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Running Down A Dream: Tortilla Soup

Running Down A Dream

Sunday, February 15, 2009

Tortilla Soup

Tortilla Soup has been a staple in my life since the first time I snagged the recipe from my sister. It has been the center of MANY a band dinner, Super Bowl party, my own personal craving, and really just any "group" meal. It is so easy to make and you can make a lot at once for a big group. :)

I made it again this last Super Bowl and I had a request to post the recipe (Thank Brittany!)

My church in Columbia, Tn (FUMC) hosts "The People's Table" every Tuesday night and Friday afternoon. The People's Table is a ministry that provides meals for anyone who may have trouble providing meals for themselves. It has grown so much since they started. They consistently have over 100 people at each one.
The people come in and go into the clothes closet (donated from church members and anyone else who wishes to help) and are welcome to help themselves to articles of clothing.
Publix donates bread that is just a day or so past the date on the package - loaves of everything! French, Italian, hotdog buns, you name it! And there's usually enough for each person to grab 1 or 2 loaves of what they want.
And then church members provide a full meal including enough for "take home" plates.

This last Friday my parents were in charge of the meal... and guess what they cooked?? I am very proud to say, Tortilla Soup!!! YAY!!!! Yum. That stuff is so good. And they said it was a hit. I think the People's Table is such a great way to help out the community, and I know a lot of communities have similar programs.
I had Mamma send me some pics :)






Tortilla Soup has also made it into a Cookbook as "Natalie Stovall's favorite recipe". I don't remember if that was a Country Musicians specific cookbook or what. I never saw it! I just remember my manager asking me to send in my recipe of my favorite meal to cook! :)

Here it is!

Tortilla Soup:

1 lb ground hamburger or ground turkey
1 packet of Taco Seasoning
1 can Corn
1 can Kidney Beans (I usually make a double recipe and do 1 can of dark red and 1 can of light red kidney beans - that's the best!)
1 can Black Beans (I usually only put in 1 can for a double recipe.... just started adding those in. They are really good in there!)
1 8oz can of Tomato Sauce (I prefer Hunt's)
1 Large can (28oz) Diced Tomatoes (Again I like Hunt's for this recipe)

I LOVE making this with Ground Turkey - it's not quite as heavy for an already very hearty meal. And many times I will buy the packages that are a little over a pound to get more - you can't have too much meat!

Cook meat and season with Package of Taco Seasoning. I also season with red pepper flakes and Tony's Cachere's Creole Seasoning. It all depends on how spicy you like it.

Dump the rest of the ingredients into a large pot - including the juice from the cans. DO NOT DRAIN the cans. Add in cooked, seasoned meat. The impatient or pressed for time can eat as soon as it is hot. But of course, it is best to let the juices simmer for a couple of hours. It is GREAT left over, so don't worry about cooking too much. I would say one pot serves around 4 people.

I serve with shredded Mexican Cheese, put a dollop of sour cream in my bowl and tortilla chips. I usually eat half of it with a spoon and half of it like a dip with my Tostitos. But that's just me. :)

This is such a fun recipe to play with! So have fun and happy eating! Let me know if you ever make this meal. :) It will make me proud!

Peace, Love, and Tortilla Soup
From somewhere on the road in Arkansas...

6 Comments:

Blogger Bailey said...

Lol!!! That looks like fun!!!!
I wish i was there. :-)

February 16, 2009 at 7:38 AM  
Blogger Bailey said...

hey nat. my friend andrea wants to post a comment on here so bad. I am trying to show her how to do it, but she says it posted when it really didnt. when i got on here, it automatically logged me in. What should i say to her??

February 16, 2009 at 7:55 AM  
Blogger BB'sBlog said...

Yum! Thanks Natalie! Can't wait to see you guys next time you play in Nashville!

Brittany

February 16, 2009 at 9:26 AM  
Blogger Natalie's Favorite Farm Boy Fan : ) said...

Hey Bailey, Since Natalie's on the road I'll provide a little info in case it helps. This gets pretty complicated, I will try to give you enough info to get started.

Your computer has cookies that remember you, and your friend will probably need to create a blogger identity to post. On the comments page you will see "sign up here" in blue at the bottom right of the screen.

Every computer is different, and every time that I post a comment using my computer I have to click on the sign up here button, and then instead of signing up I log in. For some reason I'm not able to log in using this page we're on now.

Your friend will also need to do the word verification every time they post.

Bailey you may have to log out of blooger if your friend wants to comment using your computer, and it could be difficult for you to get logged back in, so I would be careful with that.

Sometimes it helps to just play around and see what happens, but don't do anything that will mess up your computer.

Hopefully that will get you started, and I'll let y'all take it from here, because unless you can actually be with the person you are teaching it's very difficult to answer computer questions most of the time. I just thought I'd try since we are all big fans of Natalie and her band.

I think they are performing tonight so I thought I'd provide a quick response in case it would help. Natalie has a lot more knowledge about this than I do, I would guess she uses her phone to access the blog so in case they are setting up for tonights show I thought I'd answer in case it helps. I hope I didn't confuse things with my answer : )

February 16, 2009 at 1:09 PM  
Blogger Natalie's Favorite Farm Boy Fan : ) said...

Hey Bailey,

I thought of something else that may be good for you to know. The internet security settings regarding cookies can keep some computers from allowing the posting comments on some sites. For instance I cannot respond to comments and answer questions people ask on a Youtube site that I have set up, and the help topic indicated i might need to change my security settings and make the security less strong, but I decided not to do that.

It appeared that my Youtube response to a question was posted, but it actually was not, and that sounds sort of like what happened to your friend. I love the internet but some things get very complicated.

I just had a flash of braininess; if your friend continues to be unable to post maybe she could tell you what she would like to say to Natalie and you can forward the message.

February 16, 2009 at 9:54 PM  
Blogger Bailey said...

ok, great idea.thanks for all your help. :D

February 17, 2009 at 7:11 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home