This Page

has been moved to new address

From JJ's BBQ to Africa

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Running Down A Dream: From JJ's BBQ to Africa

This Page

has been moved to new address

From JJ's BBQ to Africa

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
zzzzzz Running Down A Dream: From JJ's BBQ to Africa

This Page

has been moved to new address

From JJ's BBQ to Africa

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Running Down A Dream: From JJ's BBQ to Africa

Running Down A Dream

Thursday, February 26, 2009

From JJ's BBQ to Africa

Something about a giant baked potato with the best pulled pork BBQ I know of just makes the world make sense to me. I LOVE the Pulled Pork Potatoes from JJ's in Columbia. And ummm.... most anyone who knows me knows that I am obsessed with their fruit tea as well. I even have the recipe and use it frequently at Thanksgiving, Christmas... you know... days when JJ's isn't open. :)-

After loading up on JJ's today, Jessie finally got to catch me up on the videos I had yet to see from The Raining Season's trip to Sierra Leone. It amazing what perspective does. It's heartbreaking, inspiring, uplifting, and overwhelming all at the same time to watch the footage from their trip. These children and these people have been left with so little. Their country is in ruin after a brutal civil war. Children who are suffering can't get the medical attention they need because there's always someone who is worse off. It is hard to watch. But it is beautiful to see something being done.

I am so inspired by the work the Raining Season is doing. And they are helping people brick by brick, drop by drop, and grain by grain. The people of Sierra Leone are so grateful. Seeing an entire people that know nothing but poverty, who are thankful for a bowl of rice each day, and seem so happy.... It's beautiful.

After talking and watching the footage with Jessie, I was heading back to my apartment with a quick pit stop for my sister. I went to her best friend's house to pick something up for her. Now, Stephanie's best friend Suzanne. Wow. I know her first 2 children. But I hadn't really gotten to spend time with or meet the rest of her kids. There have been 4 additions since the last time I saw her!!! How crazy is that? I had the best time talking with and getting to actually spend time with her children. Children just fill my heart. They LOVED Cinnamon and let me bring her in. They were having a ball chasing her around the house! (Not sure how Cinnamon felt, but she's pretty good at holding her own. With 7 nieces and nephews... she's gotten pretty used to it!)

This is Caleb, Annabelle, Michael, MillerAnne, Joshua, Grace, and Mallory (Mallory is "technically" a neighbor, but let's face it - she's family!)



Suzanne is such a beautiful person. She is actually going to Uganda very soon. And her 2 oldest children who are around 10 and 12 are going with her. I have just spent the last 30 minutes reading and looking at the blogs of Amazima Ministries. Amazima is what inspired Suzanne to make her trip to Africa.
Katie is a 21 year old girl who first went to Uganda at 18. She fell in love with the people, and her heart was broken as she saw so may children just sitting idly on the side of the road. She started this foundation which has grown tremendously over the last few years. Her stories are so moving. And I encourage everyone to at least read some of her stories. It will impact your day in a beautiful way.

I spent part of my night catching up on some accounting, and I found a movie about Coco Chanel which sounded like a good working/listening movie. Boy was I wrong!!! I was having trouble focusing on my work because she was such a captivating woman.

At one point in the movie, they are discussing how frustrating it is that men seem to have so many advantages (this is the early 1900's) Her friend says,"That's just the way the world is. Not like you can change the world." Coco replied with "Why not?"

Beautiful.

Here's to whatever your light is in the world - music, fashion, mission work, cooking....

Peace, Love, Fiddle, and doing what we can to change the world

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Lauren said...

you're awesome! :) Katie's blog challenges me EVERY time i read it.

February 26, 2009 at 9:20 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Here are two sites where you can help with world hunger simply by using your computer. When you click the link at The Hunger Site (it's free), you donate the value of 1.1 cups of food to the hungry.

http://www.thehungersite.com/clickToGive/home.faces?siteId=1

The Free Rice site is one of my favorites. It's a trivia game with many different categories. For every question you get right, you donate 10 grains of rice through the UN World Food Program to help end hunger. You can test your brain and do a good deed at the same time!

http://www.freerice.com/index.php

February 26, 2009 at 12:17 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home