This Page

has been moved to new address

A Geep Can't Make Up Its Mind

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Running Down A Dream: A Geep Can't Make Up Its Mind

This Page

has been moved to new address

A Geep Can't Make Up Its Mind

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
zzzzzz Running Down A Dream: A Geep Can't Make Up Its Mind

This Page

has been moved to new address

A Geep Can't Make Up Its Mind

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Running Down A Dream: A Geep Can't Make Up Its Mind

Running Down A Dream

Saturday, July 31, 2010

A Geep Can't Make Up Its Mind

This will be my 800th post... WHOA.

.... So when we were in Italy, you want to know what Panther tried from a street vendor?

A HORSE PANINI.

Ummm... NOT ok. I didn't even want him to bring it into the van with us. He ate horse meat and he LIKED it. And Gordon took a bite, and HE liked it. It's a good thing James didn't take a bite... that might have ended in divorce.

;)

Culturally... if that's your thing... of course. By all means. But I would eat my own shoe before I would eat a horse... or a dog....


On our way our to Catania - the night of the horse meat incident - we had a nice drive through the Sicilian countryside. Through the miles and miles of orange groves, there were also fields of what I mistakenly thought were goats.

Nope.

They were geep. A sheep/goat combo. For whatever reason geep are the thing around those parts. Their wool isn't useful, but their milk is. And the geep tend to run out into the road a lot - and if you hit one you owe the farmer a lot of money. And somehow... that geep is ALWAYS female, and she's ALWAYS pregnant with two babies (which means you owe for 3 geep in one).

I have done a bit of reading because I wanted to know if they are actually a combination of a sheep and a goat. Technically a geep is what is known as a chimera - which is produced by combining the embryos of a goat and a sheep - NOT by them mating. (That would be a sheep-goat hybrid... TOTALLY different according to wikipedia). I assume since they were calling them geep in Sigonella - they are the chimera, but I don't know for sure.

Here's something really interesting off wiki:
"The resulting creature was a mosaic of goat and sheep tissue. The parts that grew from the sheep embryo were woolly. Those that grew from the goat embryo were hairy."

So the poor thing can't make up it's mind whether it's woolly or hairy:


You may be snoozing by this point, but I found it interesting - especially being from Mule Town USA. Mules are the result of a donkey and horse mating and all male mules are infertile and MOST female mules are infertile... but a geep can reproduce. But it passes on EITHER sheep or goat genes - " depending on whether its reproductive organs were formed from the goat embryo or from the sheep embryo"

Fascinating. Maybe only to me... but hey. Panther likes horse meat. To each his own!

Peace. Love. Fiddle.
~natalie

2 Comments:

Blogger Natalie's Favorite Farm Boy Fan : ) said...

Hay : )

You mentioned that we might be snoozing by now, but we want you to know that your blog ain't never boaring ... or boring either !!

It's very fun to read your thoughts and ponderins bout stuff, and knowing that u is so talented and beeyouteaful makes it even more innerestin !!

On eatin stuff, dad had me eat mountain oysters once when I was a kid B4 I node what they was, UG !!

I have never eaten my shoe but I have been told my foot resides in my mouth often : )

We have Geeps here too, they are the combo of our Jeep and the loud hollerin GEEEEEEE we scream while daredrivin right after we say "Hey y'all watch this" !!!!!

Those are the famous last words of many a country boy : ) : )

July 31, 2010 at 10:13 AM  
Blogger Natalie Stovall said...

I can't imagine your shoe ever being in your mouth with as prolific as you are!!

August 1, 2010 at 4:05 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home